Apprentice Building Engineer
At Bevara, we are completely focused on giving our team members the tools and support needed to achieve their professional goals. We have an incredibly dynamic and interactive team-focused culture. Bevara encourages a healthy work-life balance and we’re proud to say we work hard and play hard!
About the Position
We are seeking passionate people to join our growing maintenance team in Birmingham! This is a great opportunity for someone to kick start their career in the field of Building Engineering. Our Apprentice Building Engineers are frontline responders for our clients and their tenant’s needs. They take initiative and work alongside our Building Engineers to learn and grow their skill set. This is an entry level position where you will learn the fundamentals of various trades such as plumbing, electrical, and HVAC as well as various buildings systems as they pertain to the building engineering trade. Our ideal candidate has a go-getter attitude, high mechanical aptitude, is able to take direction well, and is a natural a problem solver.
- Conduct routine assessments of the building systems operations
- Responsible for minor repairs, preventative maintenance, and service requests on building equipment, tenant spaces, and components located on the interior and exterior of the building
- Works with Engineers to oversee the property’s mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire systems; reports deficiencies to Operations team and Property Manager
- Respond to tenant requests in the areas of safety, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and environmental needs through both personal contact and work order systems
- Being pro-active with the buildings and creating/maintaining an ongoing task list of potential work for the property management group
- Prepare and maintain maintenance logs for assigned properties
- Follow and assist in the creation of additional standard operating procedures (SOP’s) as needed
- Maintaining great communication with the onsite engineers, Operations Support staff, and Property Managers
- Being the main point of contact for vendors on assigned properties. Stationary Building Engineers will be in charge of checking vendors in/out, escorting them to area of assigned work, and taking thorough notes of work performed.
- Check for properly operating emergency exit signs and lights and ensure free and clear access to emergency stairs and exits. Perform additional fire and life safety inspections as per building protocol and as directed by superiors and property management.
- Miscellaneous tasks such as garbage removal, exterior lock box inspections, and ensuring that exterior ladders are guarded from the general public at all times
- Enforce a safe jobsite and maintain compliance with company safety, OSHA, and customer-specific safety standards
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma (or GED or High School Equivalence Certificate)
- A minimum of 1 year of commercial building operations engineering experience preferred
- Ability to handle multiple projects and make decisions independently
- Proficient when working with hand held devices (smartphones) and electronic work order systems
- Must possess strong organizational skills and motivation to get the job done well
- Must be comfortable in a fast paced and dynamic environment
About Bevara’s Benefits
- Full range of health benefits offered- medical, dental, vision, long and short-term disability
- Roth and traditional 401K retirement plans offered
- Company provided life insurance plan
- PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Paid holidays
- Educational assistance
Bevara Building Services provides equal employment to all persons. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against because of race, creed, origin, marital status, sexual orientation, age, otherwise qualified disabled or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.